Saturday, August 7, 2010

Trademark? Phhht...

Oh boy. So a few months ago i had to cease and desist from using the name "BirthBones" for my bone-shaped birthstone charms because i was infringing on someone's trademark. After brainstorming with my friend we came up with a brilliant new name: Gem Bones. But alas, it also has been previously thought up and registered. As far as i can tell after my visit to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website, there is no Gem Bonz or GemBonz name registered yet, so i'm running with it, so to speak.

The cost to register a trademark with the USPTO is $275-$325. I won't be coughing it up. The amount of business i do is so small that it probably isn't worth it. IF someone comes along and registers the name out from under me, i'll either change names again, or move on to something else, i figure. Cut throat business woman here, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment