Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Compensation

The boys went back to school this morning and i'll spend the day wondering how they are doing. As we built up to this morning, they didn't sound too hopeful that they would ever, ever be happy again. I wouldn't actually promote pessimism, but one thing you can say about going into something with low expectations: the little events that aren't actually horrible, look better than they are... Even though i'm not there to witness it, i'm counting on my boys bumping in to old freinds, finding the odd teacher that makes learning interesting, and maybe the thought: "i guess school isn't so bad after all" might just enter their minds. Well, i'm hoping.

I may not be with them at school, but my lunches are. According to my boys, they are the only kids in the school system that take sack lunches. Last year my youngest even had to sit at the Sack Lunch Table. Sounds a bit ostracizing to me. Anyway, they all went off this morning with homemade wheat rolls, homemade chicken fingers, veggie sticks, fresh cantaloupe, and homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Something about putting my love into lunch makes me feel better. But i don't know how i feel about a buttered roll representing my love, support and protection. I thought it would taste more like peach cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment