Sunday, July 25, 2010

More Northern Lake Scenes













































I'll get it out of my system with this last blog post about the north country and then i'll come up with another topic. :-)
Cacti do live up here! It's like a little bit of the southwest way up north. These ones are cozy amongst the caribou moss (a lichen).
I suppose it is obvious from my photos, but i spent a lot of time canoeing. Bodies of water are few and far between in New Mexico, not to mention just a completely different setting. And my fishermen have been getting in a lot of fishing.
I took some books up to the lake with me. I reread Kimberley Adams's The Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking, and realized how well it presents the craft to a student of lampworking. If i do more teaching, i'll try to use some of her explanations. I pored over Glass Beads Masters (Major Works By Leading Artists) and found all sorts of inspiration. I can't wait to get back to my torch!
For bedtime reading i had Bury Me Deep by Megan Abbott. I really enjoyed it and will look for her other books. She wrote this one with a very unique voice, kind of original turns of phrases, or something. And i reread Michael Ondaatje's Divisadero. It took me several chapters before i realized that i'd read it before, but it's good and i couldn't remember how it ended, so i had to keep reading anyways.


















No comments:

Post a Comment